How to make slime?
Use the following recipe to make cornflour slime or Oobleck (from Dr Seuss book Bartholomew and the Oobleck).
- large mixing bowl
- large spoon
- 2 cups of cornflour
- 2 cups of water
- food colouring
- Add 2 cups of water and a few drops of food colouring to the mixing bowl
- Gradually add the cornflour until you achieve a smooth consistency. It should flow smoothly when you stir very slowly but should be difficult to stir quickly.
- Roll up your sleeves and try the following:
- Drop your hands quickly into the slime, then slowly lower your hands into it.
- Hold a handful in your palm - what happens?
- Move your fingers through the mixture slowly, then try moving them fast.
This slime is what we call non-Newtonian fluid - it's a fluid that can change it's thickness (viscosity). Shampoo, pastes and glues, gelatine and quicksand are all non-Newtonian fluids.
Try these other holiday activities